What causes cause breast cancer? Breast cancer develops as a result of genetic mutations or damage to DNA. These can be associated with exposure to estrogen, inherited genetic defects, or inherited genes that can cause cancer, such as the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. When a person is healthy, their immune system attacks any abnormal DNA or growths.
Who is most likely to get breast cancer?
- Being a woman.
- Over 70 percent of women who develop the disease have only these two risk factors. The risk of breast cancer increases as a woman gets older. This is even more important after the age of 50. Most breast cancers are found in women 55 and older.
What are 5 ways to prevent breast cancer?
- Limit alcohol. The more alcohol you drink, the greater your risk of developing breast cancer.
- Maintain a healthy weight. If your weight is healthy, work to maintain that weight.
- Be physically active.
- Limit postmenopausal hormone therapy.
What are the 5 warning signs of breast cancer?
- New lump in the breast or underarm (armpit).
- Thickening or swelling of part of the breast.
- Irritation or dimpling of breast skin.
- Redness or flaky skin in the nipple area or the breast.
- Pulling in of the nipple or pain in the nipple area.